Thursday, November 10, 2005

Random Debate Questions

OK, this seems to be a popular idea on Conservative blogs, so I thought I'd join in. Here are some random questions. Answer any you want to. I picked "hot-button" issues because I hope to get a lively debate going. Hope you enjoy.

Regarding the Iraq war:

1: Do you feel the war in Iraq is going as badly as the media says it is? Why or why not?

2: Would you support a reinstatement of the draft? And

3: Do you think it will be necessary before the war is over?

4: When do you think the war will be over?

5: Will you/have you enlisted? Why or why not?

6: Do you support "coercive" interrogation techniques?

7: Do you think President Bush is over-positive or over-negative about Iraq?

8: What would you do in Iraq if you were in President Bush's shoes right now?

9: Do you support military recruiters going to places like schools, county fairs, NASCAR events, etc.? And do you support recruiters in general?

Regarding Abortion:
(All these questions depend on the assumed fact that the hypothetical pregnancy wasn't a result of rape/incest, and there was not danger to the mother's life.)

For Girls:

1: Would you support a law requiring you to tell your husband/boyfriend that you were aborting his child?

2: Would you even consider one in the first place?

3: Would you support a law requiring you to tell your parents (if you're under 18)?

4: Why do you/don't you feel it's a right to have an abortion?

5: Do you think that the overturning of Roe v. Wade would affect you personally?

For Guys:

1: Would you support a law requiring your wife/girlfriend to tell you if they were aborting your child?

2: Would you support a law requiring your under-18 daughter to tell you?

3: Is abortion a right?

4: Should the father of the child have any (legal) say in an abortion?

For Everyone:

5: Do you think the Govenment should take steps to overturn Roe v. Wade?

6: Would it be possible to do as such?

Now for my answers:

On Iraq:

1: No. Of course there are a lot of negative stories - it's a war you know - but the media covers almost no positive stories. The war is not going exactly ideal; but I repeat - it's a war. Things will go wrong and things will be mishandled, but it's way too early to dismiss Iraq as a total failure.

2: No

3: No. The media makes it out like there are no recruits, but that's not true. We have a long way to go before we run out of soldiers. And I don't think it would be possible to reinstate the draft, being as how the general public (at least from my perspective) is against it so strongly.

4: I don't know. Of course I hope soon, but I don't advocate rushing out and leaving it to the terrorists, either.

5: No. I will not enlist. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think women should be in the military. Besides that, being a soldier isn't what I wan't to do with my life, which is why I so strongly support those who are willing to be soldiers.

6: Yes. I don't support torture, but 99% of what they do doesn't even touch on torture.

7: I think he's maybe just a bit over-positive. But not too bad. I really don't know, though.

8: Hmm . . . hard question I gave myself. I have no idea, honestly. Since I'm not in the President's shoes, I don't know what I'd do if I was.

9: Yes and Yes. I would go into detail, but my post is getting way too long.

On Abortion:

1: Yes. It would be just as much his child as mine.

2: NEVER

3: Yes.

4: It's not a right, it's murder, plain and simple.

5: Hmm. . . well, not in a negative way. I would obviously be happy with something like that.

That's all for now. I hope I can get a lot of feedback on this post. Everyone, liberals, conservatives, independents, is welcome to comment as much as they like.

|