Thursday, May 08, 2008

German court rules against religious freedom

A German court on Wednesday ruled that a Muslim student cannot skip co-ed swimming lessons because her religion prohibits form-fitting clothes that do not cover her body, The Local reported.

The 12-year-old girl’s parents sued a school in the northern city of Remscheid after it refused to let the girl skip the lessons. The court sided with the school, saying that the state’s responsibility to educate the girl outweighed an infringement on her religious freedom.


Now, I don't know about you, but I think this is pretty ridiculous. I'm not advocating for Islam's teachings (I know quite a few fundamental Christians who would have similar beliefs,) but that's not really the issue. What bothers me is that the State's "responsibility" to educate - their essential ownership of children, supersedes a personal conviction. That's wrong.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

Labels: , , , ,

|