Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chuck Baldwin receives Constitution Party nomination.

From the Kansas City Star.
Convening its national convention in Kansas City today, the Constitution Party picked radio talk-show host Chuck Baldwin over former Ambassador Alan Keyes as its 2008 presidential candidate.

The pick was seen as something of an upset, given Keyes' higher national profile. Known for his fiery stem-winders, Keyes is a two-time GOP presidential candidate who abandoned the Republican Party this month to join the Constitution Party, which believes in limited government and is committed to ending abortion and bringing American troops home from Iraq.

But Baldwin's roots in the Constitution Party run deeper. He was the party's 2004 vice-presidential candidate, and party members said his stands were more in line with party thinking. "Chuck is the real deal," said Jim Clymer, the party's national chairman.
Ok, first of all -what do you think of the party's pick? Second, I am considering supporting Baldwin, but I want to know what you think. This is probably aimed more at my fellow Ron Paul supporters, but the rest of you, please weigh in too...

I really don't want to see Ron Paul's vote split between the Libertarian and Constitution parties. That being said, I also really want to be able to really, truly get behind someone for President again. When people ask me who to vote for, I need an answer beyond "write-in", because - honestly - nobody but hardcore Ron Paul'ers agree with, or even listen to that.

I do agree with a great deal of what he says, but my mind isn't made up. Chuck Baldwin has previously endorsed Ron Paul, and is pro-life, anti-Iraq war and speaks out against things like the NAU, which is rare. At the same time, I'm very, very Libertarian on Church-State issues and would feel wary supporting a Pastor for a political office. I don't want to vote for a Mike Huckabee with Ron Paul's political views, if you know what I mean. I'm not saying that's what Baldwin is, I'm just wary.

What are your thoughts?

|