Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spitzer to step down by Monday

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Gov. Eliot Spitzer said Wednesday that he will step down from the state's top office because he cannot allow his "private failings to disrupt the public's work."


Gov. Eliot Spitzer apologizes Wednesday because, he said, he "did not live up to what was expected."

"I am deeply sorry that I did not live up to what was expected of me," he said in a brief news conference announcing his intention to resign, effective Monday. "I will try once again outside of politics to serve the common good."


So... your thoughts?

Some have also, rightly, pointed out that there are serious problems with Spitzer otherwise, particularly with illegal immigration, and that this is distracting from other issues. That's a good point, and I'm obviously going to follow politics other that this - I'm not letting it distract me, at least.

However, I agree that Spitzer absolutely should've stepped down. I personally don't care, politically, if he cheats on his wife. Of course it would make me disrespect him personally, but that alone isn't a political issue. However, the governer is wrong, this isn't about his private life, this is about a lawmaker breaking the laws of his state. Simple as that.

Labels: , ,

|