Monday, October 27, 2008

So what does Obama think of the Constitution?



[Emphasis added]
"I think we can say that the Constitution reflected an enormous blind spot in this culture that carries on until this day, and that the framers had that same blind spot. I don't think the two views are contradictory to say that it was a remarkable political document that paved the way for where we are now and to say that it also reflected the fundamental flaw of this country that continues to this day."

I can't speak for the absolute validity of this clip. The statements were supposedly made in 2001, so I might not be the first person to hear of this. I was just blindsided, though. Not by his criticism of American policies - and I think slavery, really, was what he was referring to - because I don't have a problem with someone criticizing something they seek to fix. What blows me away is how he uses the past tense. How he refers to the foundation of our God-given rights as merely a "political document". It's crazy.

Labels: ,

|